An antineoplastic agent that acts as an anti-metabolite of folic acid. Within the cell folic acid is reduced to dihydrofolic and tetrahydrofolic acid. Methotrexate competitively inhibits the enzyme dihydrofolate reductase and prevents the formation of tetrahydrofolate, which is necessary for purine and pyrimidine synthesis and consequently the formation of DNA and RNA. Most active against cells in the S phase.
- Store dry at room temperature
- Soluble in alkaline solutions
- Protect from light
- H301 Toxic if swallowed
- H315 Causes skin irritation
- H319 Causes serious eye irritation
- H340 May cause genetic defects
- H351 Suspected of causing cancer
- H360 May damage fertility or the unborn child
- P201 Obtain special instructions before use
- P280 Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection
- P308 IF exposed or concerned:
- P313 Get medical advice/attention
if your Certificate of Analysis is not listed here.